How I Got My Body Back After Baby #2
I constantly get asked how I snapped back into shape within two weeks after giving birth to my second baby. For starters, it was not easy by ANY means. I credit staying active throughout my entire pregnancy for allowing me to bounce back so easily. People can say that it’s genes, age, how many babies I’ve had, or whatever, but to me that is all complete bullshit. Hard work did the trick and the thing about it is that many women are not willing to put in the time and effort that it takes and then there are some that can’t due to health reasons, high risk pregnancy, etc. However, if you are physically able to do it, why not?
I wanted to stay fit throughout my pregnancy not only for myself, but because I owed it to my growing baby. So, I worked out for 5 days a week for an hour with 30 minutes of focus being on cardio and the other 30 minutes being on lifting weights. By keeping up this routine, my muscles stayed intact and as soon as I delivered, muscle memory took over and my body remembered exactly how it used to look like. Amazing how our bodies work, right?
Most of you already know that I used my own prenatal workout program to stay fit throughout my pregnancy which you can view here. However, I want to share with you a few important things that helped me along the way to getting my body back.
Here are some of my key tips:
- Breastfeed. If you are able, definitely breastfeed. Some women say that breastfeeding made them hold onto extra pounds, but for me it completely burned everything off. A lot of times when you are unable to lose weight while breastfeeding, it is always because you are eating too much or your diet is not clean. If you exclusively breastfeed, you could burn up to 500 calories per day! Need help with breastfeeding? Check out my free ultimate breastfeeding guide!
- Workout 5 days per week for 30 minutes. 30 minutes a day is all that it takes for the average person to maintain a healthy weight, but most people will not even do that. I did not grab this number out of thin air either-this is the national recommendation for physical activity for adults! Weights and cardio go hand in hand, but if you must do one, do cardio so that you can reap the cardiovascular health benefits while burning extra calories. I am personally doing my Strong Body Guide plan which has helped snap me back into shape quicker than ever.If you cannot make it to a gym and need to workout from home, try my new Strong Body Guide that is helping busy women worldwide get into their best shape ever. Little to no equipment needed for most moves!
In this guide, you can expect:
– ✅ 12 weeks of workouts that can be done at home with little to no equipment.
– ✅ 225 pages long
– ✅ Each workout takes less than 30 minutes-great for busy schedules.
– ✅ step by step instructional picture examples of every move
– ✅ no gym required
– ✅ exercises focus on hiit, strength training, and plymetrics
– ✅ download on any device
– ✅ build a lean tone stomach, butt, thighs, and arms
– ✅ download instantly from anywhere
– ✅ promote fat loss & boost metabolism
– ✅ contains cardio and stretching routines as well!
– ✅ full exercise glossary with images and instructions for every move
*All guides are digital ebooks available instantly worldwide. Compatible on all devices – Android, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Nook, Computer, Mac.
- Wear a postpartum girdle. I strapped my Belly Bandit Postpartum Girdle on right after delivering both of my kiddos and it not only shrunk my tummy to a size smaller than pre-pregnancy, but it also got rid of my hips and love handles, too. Use code SIA15 for 15% off ALL Belly Bandit goodies.
- Drink water. Water makes the world go round! When it comes to losing the baby weight, it’s no different. Aim for at least half of your body weight in ounces of water and drink a glass prior to each snack and meal. You will not only look better, but you will feel the difference, too. Here’s a free 30 day water challenge to help get you there!
- Take a multi-vitamin & fish oil. A good multi-vitamin can keep your metabolism healthy and maintain your energy levels so you will actually feel like working out. I also take a fish oil pill daily to help promote fat loss and boost my metabolism. I am using MRM supplements because they are safe for pregnant and breastfeeding mommas! Feel free to try them out with my discount code SIA at checkout.
- Eat lean protein at every meal. It is not secret that protein keeps you fuller for a longer period of time so why not aim to eat it at each meal?
- No-no foods: refined breads, pastas, candy, sodas, and sugar. Seems like a lot of no-no’s right? If you need help or a plan to get you on the road to healthier eating, check out my Eat Clean Get Lean 4 week meal plan! It is super easy to follow, the recipes taste great (toddler approved!), and comes with weekly grocery lists.
- Fill your half your plate with fresh veggies. Aim to eat veggies of all colors to reap the antioxidant benefits. Also, vegetables are super low in calories which allows you to eat until your heart’s content. So fill em up!
- Find your motivation and never give up. Possibly the most important tip of all. If you do not find what motivates you to keep going, you won’t go anywhere. Don’t give up and keep a positive attitude.
- Go for a stroller walk after dinner. Every night after dinner, my husband and I like to take the kids out for a stroller walk. It is such a nice way to wind down before bedtime and we also get to bond and talk. It does not feel like a workout, but it is just a little something extra to keep you on track.
Your trainer and friend,