HEAL THE GAP: DIASTASIS RECTI WORKOUT
Did you just give birth recently and you still look pregnant with a noticeable pooch? You might have a common, painless condition called Diastasis Recti.
Diastasis recti is a thinning of the tissue that connects the two sides of the rectus abdominis. When this tissue thins, it gravitates away from each other which causes your midsection to buldge on through as your two abdominal halves split apart.
Think of your ab muscles being held together by a zipper. When you have Diastasis Recti the zipper splits in the middle and the two sides are separated. Luckily though, there are some Diastasis Recti exercises that you can do to help repair your mommy tummy,
What are the signs of DA?
- A doming or buldging right around the belly button.
- A gap of two finger widths or more.
Please keep in mind that the gap may run anywhere down your linea alba or abdominal midline. Watch the video below for a demo + be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel for free weekly workout videos!
Who’s prone to DA?
- Overweight individuals carrying most of their weight in their abdomen.
- Those who perform exercises incorrectly or with bad posture.
- Women who are pregnant.
- Women who gain more than the recommended amount of weight during pregnancy.
- Women with multiple pregnancies or whose pregnancies are spaced closer together.
- Women who are pregnant with more than one fetus at once (twins, triplets, etc).
- Women over the age of 35.
This simple self-test will help you determine if you have diastasis recti:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent upward, as if you are in the starting position for a crunch exercise.
- Place your fingers right above your belly button.
- Raise your head and shoulders off floor as if you are performing a crunch exercise.
- If you can feel a gap or see a buldging, then you could have a diastasis.
What exercises to avoid if you have diastasis recti:
- Twisting movements
- Push Ups
- Sit Ups
The Diastasis Recti Safe Workout
Bent Toe Taps
Lying Knee Pulls
If you liked this and would like more exercises to close the gap, check out my 12 Week Diastasis Recti Workout Guide. In this guide, you will have 4 exercises per day that only take 12 minutes! Cardio and sretch routines are included. All workouts are brown down into levels so you can go at the right pace.
To check out my Diastasis Recti Workout Guide, click here!
Your trainer and friend,