Low Carb Taco Salad Dinner
I am not sure why, but I have been craving tons and tons of Mexican food! As you already know, there are not many healthy options when it comes to eating Mexican cuisine!
I decided to do a taco salad one night for dinner-low carb style. My husband has been wanting to shape up a bit, so I figured we would watch the carbs a few days per week in order to speed up his process. Anyway, the taco salad was such a hit that even my son loved it (we gave him tortilla chips with his and I ate a few myself)!
The following recipe will make around 3-4 servings-it just depends on how much meat you would like. I ate more meat since I didn’t eat many tortilla chips, but if you are adding chips to your meal, you might want to eat a smaller meat portion so you do not go overboard on calories. Also, adding chips to your meal sort of goes against the whole “low carb” idea.
All you need is below:
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use ground sirloin)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 head lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 tbsp per salad)
- 1 small onion, diced (as much as you want)
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced (as much as you want on your salad!)
- 1 tbsp low-fat sour cream (per salad)
- Cook your meat in a skillet on high until brown-draining is not necessary if you want more flavor. Add in seasoning packet according to packaged instructions (this usually means adding in 3/4 cup of water or so)
- Wash your head of lettuce and tear off the leaves to arrange on a plate. I like to tear smaller pieces so that it’s easier to eat with my fork,
- Top the lettuce with the taco meat.
- Layer with cheese, onions, and tomatoes.
- Dallop with sour cream and enjoy!
Your trainer and friend,