Kid-Friendly Kale Nachos & My New Cooking Show Addiction
Who all loves to eat food? If you could see my hands, you’d notice me wildly flailing my arms up into the air! One of my biggest hobbies and passion is cooking, but not just any dish-healthier alternatives to the junk foods that I onced craved. Over the period of my weightloss, I learned that you can practically make a healthier version of ANY recipe or dish out there.
I was so stoked when BeachBody asked me to check out their newest venture-a cooking show- called FIXATE on Beachbody On Demand. I am no stranger to Beachbody On Demand or BOD as I have had the chance to try out the Active Maternity and Country Heat programs this year. To be honest, I love BOD and how convenient the workouts truly are.
Ok, back to the food! 21 Day Fix creator Autumn Calabrese and her brother, professional chef Bobby Calabrese, joined forces to come up with the first ever cooking show for Beachbody based off of her own healthy, creative recipes that provide great taste while maintaining your weightloss. If you are currently on the 21 Day Fix plan, then these recipes will fit right on in!
I browsed through the cooking episodes and thoroughly enjoyed watching her and her brother create these amazing new recipes that I hadn’t ever even thought to try before! I decided to pick two of my favorites to re-create and share with you guys at home.
I had my son join in on the fun as I taught him about kale for the very first time. I was a bit shocked to realize I had never introduced him to it before! Nevertheless, I was curious to see how he would react to eating it.
Kid-Friendly Kale Nachos
- 4 cups raw kale (peeled from the stem)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. FIXATE taco seasoning* (I used a lot more than this for more powerful flavor)
- 12 oz. extra lean ground beef
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped*
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Drizzle kale with olive oil. (I actually used coconut oil spray for this step.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake kale for 15-18 minutes.
- Place olive oil in a pan and heat to medium.
- In a bowl, mix ground beef with FIXATE taco seasoning with clean hands until well blended. (Since we are in the process of moving, I realized that I had already packed up my mixing bowls! I decided to just mix the meat inside the pan I was using to fry it in. Hey, one less thing to wash, right?)
- Sautee the ground beef mixture in the pan for 5-8 minutes while chopping the tomatoes and the onions.
- Remove the kale from the oven and spread the ground beef over the kale chips.
- Next, pile on the black beans, onions, tomatoes, and finish with cheese.
- Place back into the oven for 3-5 minutes to melt the cheese and warm things up!
- Remove kale chips from the oven and top with cilantro and lime juice to your taste.
*Some kids may not like cilantro so you can leave it off of theirs. I do not like it so I did not use it.*
*Fixate Taco Seasoning Recipe:*
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. + 1½ tsp. ground cumin
2½ tsp. garlic powder
2½ tsp. onion powder
2½ tsp. ground sweet smoked paprika
2½ tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika,
coriander, and pepper in a small bowl; mix well.
2. Store taco seasoning in an airtight container.
For a quick video tutorial of me making this dish, head on over to my Instagram page.
The final result looked marvelous, but did it really taste as good as it looks? I let Greyson be the judge of that! He took his first bite and my husband and I watched closely.
BOOM! A smile of satisfaction. He actually devoured the whole plate and called the kale “trees.” My son ate kale!! It was awesome.
My husband and I were surprised at how GREAT the kale nachos were and it seemed as if Everly even wanted to give the kale nachos a try! Needless to say, I WILL be making this new favorite again soon.
My final thoughts on FIXATE were:
- The recipes were clever, healthy, and nutritious and I honestly cannot wait to make more of them.
- I loved the little tricks that both Autumn and Bobby would share when cooking. There are some tricks I hadn’t even heard of such as peeling kale right off of the stem in a second.
- These were recipes that my husband and son both loved as well so they are very family friendly.
- You do not need to be a pro at cooking to re-create these recipes-the tutorials are so easy and walk you through each step.
Want to watch FIXATE for free for the next 30 days? Click here to start watching and cooking healthy, tasty recipes for you and your entire family-not to mention, you’ll get to see what Beachbody On Demand has to offer!
You can expect to have full access to within On Demand are:
- P90X 1,2, & 3
- 21 Day Fix
- Brazil Butt Lift
- Hip Hop Abs and more
You can also search the perfect program by choosing a goal from below:
- Muscle Building
- Less than 30 min.
- Slim & Tone
- Low Impact and more
Not to mention, choosing a trainer:
- Tony Horton
- Autumn Calabrese
- Shaun T
- Chalene Johnson
- Sagi Kalev and more
For complete access to Beachbody On Demand, it costs $2.99 a week (billed $38.87 quarterly-basically $12 a month) with no starter or cancellation fees included. You must be a Team Beachbody Club member in order to get Beachbody On Demand access.
If you are ready to start your unlimited access to Beachbody On Demand, sign up today!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Beachbody. Beachbody provided FIXATE for me and my family to try out at no cost. All opinions are my very own.